With so much competition online for eyeballs (and dollars), your website needs to stand out. Indeed, many times you only have seconds to make a good impression. If your web or ecommerce site is hard to find, takes too much time to load, is unattractive or difficult to navigate, chances are you’ve lost a potential customer, maybe dozens of them. So how do you create content that attracts and sticks in people’s minds?
To find out, I asked dozens of web content and marketing pros. Here are 16 of their top web content strategies for engaging both humans (i.e., potential customers) and robots (search engine spiders or web crawlers) — and increasing your search engine rankings and sales.
1. Make sure your content can be properly viewed across platforms and devices (e.g., laptops, smart phones, tablets).
2. Know the customer journey. (Not everyone is going to land on your home page.)
3. Make it easy for visitors to find what they are looking for.
4. Use keywords, but do some research first.
5. Create unique content.
6. Tell a story.
7. Provide product reviews.
8. Let visitors know they can trust you.
10. Create evergreen content (content that doesn’t grow old or stale).
11. Remember that size matters when it comes to images and multimedia. (Small is beautiful.)
12. Think quality not quantity.
13. Say it with headlines (H1 and H2 tags).
14. Keep content short and to the point.
15. Make content easily shareable — and share it via social media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest).
16. Brand photos, images and content with your URL and/or logo.
For additional information, including detailed explanations of each tip, please read my article, “16 Ways to Improve Your Content Marketing Strategy.”